Damascus: Three Views

Damascus through my interactions with three people.

A travelor: my grandma, a photographer: John Wreford, and a CASA student: Zachary Queen.

Grandma: Growing up I saw the beautiful copper and emroidered linens of my grandparents’ home which I lived in for many years. Of course, no mention about copper is complete without a lively story of how my grandma got them in and out of Syria. Syria has this semi-mysterious quality because the country is forbidden to anyone with an Israeli stamp in their passport. And of course, my grandparents lived in Israel/Palestine. Grandma didn’t let that get in the way of hitting the markets in Damascus. My grandparents visit the sights where Paul went and Arabraham grew up and the ancient kingdoms that left their mark–Persia, Rome, Greece, and the Arabs. Damascus holds a Biblical/ancient quality for me.

John Wreford: An amazing photographer living in Damascus capturing the Middle East for high end journals and such. If you haven’t seen much of the Middle East or enjoy stunning images, check out his website.

Zachary Queen: My Arabic students and I got to know a former Brigham Young University student who is now studying in Damascus CASA program. I’ve learned from him about a different side of Damascus–the more day to day living. He plays off and on with a soccer team there. It’s interesting to hear bits and pieces from him about playing soccer late into the night and struggles for recognition becauase he is an American. He talks about working with Iraqi refugees, hanging out with friends on the weekends, etc. With all the layers of history and it’s central place in Syrian politics, it’s a place where people continue their stories.

0 comments:

Post a Comment