Jerusalem: Out-bridged


A Palestinian Family
Part III

Talaal and I became pals when I let him play my hand of Pit cards and showed him how to shuffle a bridge. Anwar and Ibrahim couldn't be out-bridged by their younger brother and I ended up with a lot of warped cards.

Talaal met me every day as I got off the shuttle coming home. I would ask him what he did that day. He quickly learned to keep it very simple and use hand gestures. "Leab" (play) he said then showed me things.

...to be continued.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you learn how to do a bridge from Teresa? That's where I learned...I have this vague memory of her teaching a bunch of the cousins around the time she was getting married to Roger. Ah, spreading the joy of card shuffling...

Audrey said...

Yeah. Probably. I forgot about that.

Post a Comment