Middle East a little hot

So this will be my fourth trip heading to the Middle East. I'm getting the last details tied down and thinking about what's ahead. There have been a lot of well wishers and I'm gonna need as many as I can get.

You kinda have to be a tough cookie as an American girl. There are guys who grab in Egypt. And, if you’re in Cairo, you’ll never make it on the metro during busy hours if you don’t push. (Cairo was great job training for high school teaching.) ;)

Don’t even start to be flattered by things guys say to you. Yawn and walk away. Actually…they love that. (I think a lot of guys like that.) Act deaf and then deck 'em if they don’t get the hint. Learn phrases like “Alai khaliik, ya akhi.” (God keep you my brother.) In other words—well, I’ll let you pick your own translation for that one.

Oh, and did I mention it is little hot--ok, maybe a lot hot. I hear Alexandria is cooler than Cairo but that’s not saying much. I looked it up. This week the high is only 95 but that’s just getting started. Last July and August, a friend of mine in Syria reminded me from his blog posts just how hot hot can be. I’m not expecting AC either. My Arab friends tell me I should at least wear sleeves to my elbows and pants to my ankles. Yikes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment